Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut Oil Pulling has been around for thousands of years and like so many other natural treatments, has enjoyed a tremendous history with amazing results. It is rather simple, but not for the faint hearted as it can take some getting used to due to the taste, texture and action. It involves taking a teaspoon of coconut oil and putting it in your mouth and swishing it around for 20 min’s or so. It does take a little to get used to but the benefits are tremendous.
10 Benefits of Oil Pulling – From various sources. Why to gargle with oil.
- Oil pulling is thought to remove toxins in the body and improve overall heath.
- Swishing with coconut oil whitens teeth, improves morning breath, and improves oral health. In some studies, oil pulling reduces Streptococcus Mutans bacteria, a significant contributor to tooth decay.
- Oil pulling increases energy.
- Swishing with oil is believed to balance hormones and help with hormonal issues.
- Less jaw pain. TMJ sufferers have reported less jaw pain from oil pulling.
- Improves skin conditions. After oil pulling some have shown improvement in acne, Keratosis Pilaris, Psoriasis and Eczema.
- Alleviation of headaches and hangovers occurs with oil pulling.
- Gargling with oil boosts the immune system.
- Oil pulling may prevent heart disease.
- Swishing with oil is believed to reduce inflammation.
What does Oil Pulling do?
There are thousands of bacteria in the mouth and some experts would argue that most diseases can originate from the mouth and the bacteria that is harbored there.
Streptococcus Mutans is one of the main bacteria in the mouth and a key player in plaque buildup and tooth decay.
In a study from 2008 with 20 boys, oil pulling (using sesame oil) caused a reduction in the number of Streptococcus Mutans in the plaque in as little as 2 weeks (3).
It was not as effective as a Chlorhexidine mouthwash, but much cheaper and MUCH less nasty.
Oil Pulling with coconut oil is effective against gingivitis, wish is an inflammatory based disease of the gums. A recent study showed that Coconut oil pulling was as effective as Chlorhexidine mouthwash.
Primarily coconut oil attacks and destroys the harmful bacteria, which can be the catalyst to so many more problems. To date there are only seven real evidential studies in Oil Pulling – especially coconut oil pulling, and one has to wonder why it has taken mainstream science to catch up with ancient holistic practices. These studies have looked at preventative uses and curative uses.
Ayurveda advises oil gargling to purify the entire system; as it holds that each section of the tongue is connected to different organ such as to the kidneys, lungs, liver, heart, small intestines, stomach, colon, and spine, similarly to reflexology and TCM. (1)”
But Why Coconut Oil
Many studies that have claimed the benefits of oil pulling have been done using another type of oil such as sesame seed oil. However, all the hype seems to be about coconut oil and one would like to know why coconut oil pulling is the oil of choice for this ancient practice.
Coconut oil is known for its healing properties that we mentioned above, and that list is not the end of its amazing benefits. It is also cheaper to buy than many other forms of holistic products or medicinal over the counter products and the effects are long-term rather than short term.
How to do Oil Pulling!
The best time to do Coconut Oil Pulling is in the morning when you first wake and maybe even after your first coffee. Though many claim to do it before you put anything in your mouth, it will not really matter all that much if you have a drink of water or coffee. There have been no studies to suggest that one is better than another and I feel the prior is merely presumptuous.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth. Its worth noting that if you have refrigerated it, the coconut oil will be hard, but will melt quickly whilst in your mouth.
- Swish the oil around your mouth for around 20 min’s or more.
- Spit your oil into a trash can and not down a sink, otherwise you run the risk of blocking the drain.
- Rinse your mouth with water and preferably Himalayan salt to further enhance the germ killing properties.
- Congratulate yourself, you have just completed your Coconut Oil pulling regime.
How Long To See Results.
Like anything in life, you have to rely on some patience as you are not going to feel or see immediate results, though some people have noticed a difference in how fresh their breath was. Give it a few weeks to really notice a difference. The first thing you will note is how fresh and clean your mouth is and how white your teeth have become. You may also feel a change in your energy and your general well being. Just stick with it and enjoy the benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling.
Latest posts by naturalpresswire (see all)
- New Holistic Breakthrough In Diabetes Control - January 20, 2018
- Innovations Shaping the Organic Personal Care Products - January 12, 2018
- “Lahela’s Spine Class:” A Therapeutic Workout, taking Pilates to a New Level - October 23, 2017