By Dr. Mercola
Americans spend 87 percent of their time in enclosed buildings and 6 percent of their time in enclosed vehicles.1 That’s a total of 93 percent of your life spent inside, breathing indoor air.
Levels of many pollutants concentrate indoors, where levels are often 2 to 5 times higher than typical outdoor concentrations.2 A major source of such pollutants is household dust, which is often regarded as more of an aesthetic problem than a health-harming one.
However, once you learn what’s actually lurking in your household dust, you’ll never look at a dust bunny the same way again…
Dust Contains More Than 7,000 Species of Bacteria and Fungi
Your home, like your body, is filled with a vast variety of microbes, many of which live in your household dust. In a study of dust from 1,200 US homes, the dust in each home contained an average of more than 5,000 species of bacteria and 2,000 species of fungi.3
Study co-author Noah Fierer, associate professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Colorado at Boulder, said:4
“Every day, we’re surrounded by a vast array of organisms in our homes, most of which we can’t see… We live in a microbial zoo, and this study was an attempt to catalog that diversity.”
What was perhaps most intriguing about the findings was that the microbial makeup of the dust could be used to predict information about the homes, such as which ones had cats and dogs, and how many females and males lived there. Houses with only makes had a different microbial makeup than those with only female or a mix of genders, for instance.
There were also trends according to geography, as a great deal of the fungi in household dust is
Latest posts by naturalpresswire (see all)
- Innovations Shaping the Organic Personal Care Products - January 12, 2018
- “Lahela’s Spine Class:” A Therapeutic Workout, taking Pilates to a New Level - October 23, 2017
- I battled Scoliosis and won — can modifed Pilates help you, too? - August 16, 2017